The John Hanson Briscoe Historical Project is a historical project relating the life and times of John Hanson Briscoe (1934-2014), St. Mary’s County lawyer, judge, and former Speaker of the Maryland House of Delegates. Through 60-plus interviews conducted with his friends and contemporaries, and through hundreds of separate primary and secondary documents, the John Hanson Briscoe Historical Project gives readers, researchers, and history enthusiasts detailed and personal accounts of John Hanson Briscoe’s life, as well as on topics such as law and politics in Maryland, the development of St. Mary’s County and Lexington Park, and of life in Maryland and St. Mary’s County in general during the twentieth century.
The project received its final update on December 29th, 2o19 with the publication of “Chapter Six – New Leadership.” Visitors are able download each chapter of the project at the links below at no cost.
We would like to express our greatest and most sincere appreciation for all those who contributed their time, memories, and photographs to this project.
The John Hanson Briscoe Historical Project, Individual Chapters
Chapter Three: Sotterley Plantation
- Introduction – “Sotterley- Introduction”
- Part 1 – “Sotterley – The Briscoe Era”
- Part 2 – “Sotterley – Equals at Last”
- Part 3 – “Sotterley – Satterlee and Ingalls”
- Part 4 – “Sotterley – This Place Matters”
- Part 5- “Sotterley – Sites Unseen”
- Part 6 – “Arthur Fenner Lee ‘Buck’ Briscoe”
- Epilogue – “Sotterley- Contributors and Bibliography”
For any questions you have about the John Hanson Briscoe Historical Project, or if you would like to make contributions to the project, please contact Samuel Baldwin at firstname.lastname@example.org.